The cucumber biologically speaking is a creeping vine that bears cylindrical fruits that are widely used as culinary vegetable. It’s just a fruit used as a veg so how come over a third of cats on the planet has an irrational fear of cucumbers?
According to Dr Mugford, the suspicious nature of cats is what leads to the innate fear of the mighty cucumber – the oddness and unusual persona of the green fruit makes them feel uneasy.
Have you ever seen any of the “cats Vs cucumber” videos on YouTube? They are simply hilarious! I love my cats and I would never test them versus a cucumber but I have to admit that the reaction of some cats is simple unreal, have a look:
Funny isn’t it?
At this point you might ask why Hendrick’s Gin is spending its time trying to get to the bottom of a cats fear of cucumbers. Well:
“The cucumber is at the core of our gin, which is oddly infused with cucumber itself, the gin that is, not the cucumber – a cucumber is wholly made of cucumber”, says David Piper, Hendrick’s Global Brand Ambassador. “Cats have an illogical fear of cucumbers – so as inventors of the cucumber garnish, we have to act responsibly and ensure cats feel at ease as we enjoy our Hendrick’s libations garnished, of course, with a cucumber, on World Cucumber Day. Did I mention the importance of cucumbers?”
Hendrick’s Gin created their own cats versus cucumbers video which is full of tips on how to keep your cat calm and comfortable on this World Cucumber Day.
So when it comes to cucumbers, cat friendly tips include:
- Storing cats away from cucumbers
- Play some suitably serene music to help cats relax and forget about cucumbers
- Incremental exposure may acclimatise cats to cucumbers – limiting their fear
- Disguise a cucumber for feline use (for example put it into a paper bag and let them discover it themselves in their own time)
- Try not to appear frightened yourself when confronted by a cucumber – the more loyal cats out there may jump to your defence
- Rest assured that once the cucumber is submerged in a Hendrick’s and tonic, cats will not experience anxiety of any kind
I hope you will find these tips useful! After all we all love a good laugh but as responsible pet owners we do have to take the wellbeing of our cats into consideration too.
Have a wonderful World Cucumber Day!