With Christmas less than a week away it is time to pull out some of those festive recipes that are considered extra special. This one is a truly Christmassy looking one – with lovely colours and full of goodness, it would make a perfect starter during this festive season.
- 400g chicken livers
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small chilli, finely chopped
- 4-5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 1 pomegranate, seeded
- A handful of parsley, chopped
- A good balsamic to drizzle
- 6 pieces of good quality bread
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat a frying pan over a high heat and when it starts to smoke add a tablespoon of the olive oil. Season the livers well with salt, pepper and a good pinch of the chilli and add half the livers to the oil and stir-fry for a few minutes until the livers are browned all over. Remove to a warm plate, heat the pan again, add another tablespoon of oil and brown the remaining livers and again add them to your warm plate. Pour in the brandy to deglaze and get all the flavour from the pan and transfer the juices onto the livers on their plate.
2. Add another glug of olive oil and add the shallots, garlic and remaining chilli and cook until soft. Put the livers back in the pan, turn off the heat and smash them up into the onions until you have a rough textured liver mix.
3. Add chopped parsley and finally, sprinkle over the pomegranate seeds.
4. Toast the bread, drizzle a little olive oil over the top and layer with the liver mix. To finish dish up, drizzle with some more olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Your livers should all look festive now with speckles of red and green throughout, and just wait to you try a mouthful!
Mark heard about this treat last Xmas from a work colleague, so no guarantees it’s correct as intended but… we absolutely love it.