- 3 avocados , ripe but not bruised
- Juice 1 large lime
- Handful of coriander , leaves and stalks chopped, plus a few leaves, roughly chopped, to serve
- 2 x garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 chilli , red or green, “hot or not so hot” deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Halve and stone the avocados (saving a stone) and use a spoon or avocado tool to scoop out the flesh into the Mortar and pulverise with the Pestle.
- Determine your level of heat and add appropriate chilli
- Place unpeeled garlic clove in Garlic press and add to the Mortar,
- Add finely chopped coriander
- Season with salt and pepper
- Use the pestle to roughly mash everything together (continue mashing for a smoother finish)
- Scatter with rough cut coriander leaves.
- Adjust seasoning, lime juice and garlic to taste.
- Serve with crudités or tortilla chips and enjoy the fruits of your labour.
- The addition of fine cut onion and tomato add extra flavour and colour.